Child Care Center Director
The West Liberty Community Center (WLCC) is seeking applicants for the position of Child Care Center Director.
The Louis and Ida Rich Child Care Center is a fully accredited care center for children ages six weeks to four years. It is part of the WLCC complex in West Liberty, Iowa, a beautiful, vibrant community of approximately 3,500 residents located between Muscatine and Iowa City. The Child Care Center occupies its own facility on the WLCC campus and is easily accessible to Interstate I-80 and State Highway 6. The facility and its operations are part of the nonprofit WLCC corporation and are overseen by a nine-member volunteer board of directors.
The WLCC Child Care Center is committed to providing the highest quality child care to our families while maintaining a safe, positive and supportive work environment for our employees. The Director provides and coordinates the necessary leadership, supervision, resources and support to ensure that these commitments are sustained. The Director is also tasked to ensure that services are provided in accordance with the goals, policies and curriculum developed for the Center, as well as all requirements of the Iowa Department of Human Services and other accrediting or licensing agencies. The Director works collaboratively with the Director of the West Liberty Community Center and reports to the WLCC Board of Directors
- Maintain the facility and center operations in accordance with policies, procedures and licensing standards.
- Maintain and update, as necessary, all center records, including personnel and operating policies and procedures.
- Prepare reports and other requirements as requested by the Iowa Department of Human Services or other licensing/accrediting agencies.
- Prepare periodic reports for review by the WLCC Board of Directors.
- Periodically attend board meetings to provide center updates.
- Work with the WLCC board treasurer and WLCC Director to develop annual operating budgets.
- In conjunction with the board treasurer and accounting agency, prepare materials for biweekly payroll, bill payments and other transactions.
- Manage collection of payments to the Center for child care services, including state support payments.
- Manage and monitor all service contracts for the Center and oversee ordering of necessary services, materials and supplies.
- Serve as a point of contact and spokesperson for the Center to enrolled families, visitors, prospective clients and the community at large.
- Maintain staff as needed for operation of the Center, to include interviewing, hiring, performance evaluations and other duties as needed.
- Maintain an environment of effective dialogue among staff members and between staff, parents and children.
- Work to maintain a qualified and certified staff by providing appropriate orientation, training and evaluation on an annual and ongoing basis.
- Address personnel matters and implement solutions that prioritize the best interest of the Center.
- Supervise staff in daily operations, including in the development of engaging and effective learning curricula.
- Educate staff on important and relevant information, such as policy changes, licensing requirements, certification needs and professional development opportunities.
- Identify required training opportunities and make arrangements to accommodate staff participation.
- Create and enforce staff schedules that adhere to all state and Center requirements, including child-staff ratios.
- Ensure that all staff comply with all Center policies and operational procedures, including privacy and confidentiality requirements.
Children/Parents and Guardians
- Ensure that all enrollment and discharge information is fully documented, complete and up to date.
- Ensure that all records are complete, updated, accurate and accessible to inspecting agencies as required.
- Ensure that the Center meets all licensing requirements of the Iowa Department of Human Services, including but not limited to:
- Standards of health and safety (sanitation)
- Learning environment and curriculum
- Nutrition and food preparation
- Physical safety and wellbeing of children and staff
- Emergency policies and regulations
- Establish and execute policies and procedures that ensure the wellbeing of children, to include but not limited to:
- Developmentally appropriate curriculum
- Positive behavior management plans
- Safe arrival and departure
- Maintain an inclusive environment that is respectful of child and family cultures, values and differences.
- Establish relationships with individual children and families and be responsive to questions, requests and concerns.
- Provide in-classroom care as needed to maintain ratios and meet safety and licensing concerns.
- Provide families with information and assistance in locating community resources.
- Report evidence of suspected abuse or neglect to the Iowa Department of Human Services.
- Must be able to meet and maintain certification through the Iowa Department of Human Services as a Child Care Director.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Must have experience working with young children.
- Must be able to maintain a high degree of professional efficiency, sustain effective leadership and demonstrate tolerance, patience, flexibility, interpersonal care and a genuine interest in the development of children.
Minimum Physical Qualifications
- This is a moderately stressful job that requires good organizational and communication skills. Must be able to perform multiple tasks at one time.
- This job requires the incumbent to be able to read, write and communicate with staff and parents/guardians both verbally and in written formats. Some basic computing/word processing skills are required.
- This position will require lifting, twisting, stooping, bending, kneeling and reaching. Exposure and subject to: changes in temperature and humidity; vapor, fumes and odors and infectious disease conditions.
- Must be able to routinely lift 30 pounds.
Please forward a resume and statement of interest by October 1, 2022, to email@example.com.